Friday, June 3, 2011

3 Weight Paradise

Ok-California is freaking amazing! I went to a mini New Zealand this past week minus the 10 pound browns. I used an old school Sage SPL Center Axis 3wt 7'3" and had absolute blast catching these 4-8 inch wild rainbows on dries and swinging streams under a 5 foot sink tip. Thanks Josh for letting me barrow it for the weekend! 


The fish were small ~ really small. Some of them couldn't even fit the feathered hooked morsel into their mouth. Normally I wouldn't think twice about fish of this skimpiness, but this place was different. Everything was on a miniature scale, sight casting to an 8 inch trout was all of a sudden like fishing to an 18 inch brown on the East Walker. This type of fishing was eye opening and was almost like fly fishing therapy because of its simplicity.

These fish were naturally more grabby than other fish that I have cast to in California, but that is just because they don't see a lot of fishing pressure. Although naive by nature they did not eat everything we served them. They needed a well presented fly within the realm of cuisine they were in the middle of dining on. A stealthy approach was necessary considering the gin clear water they live in. 

There was one fish in particular that I know I will remember forever as dorky as it sounds. Photographed on the right, obviously I wont remember her for her size. What made her stand out from the rest were the steps that it took to land this picture. I skated my way over the uneven stream bottom to cross the river to get to a bolder the size of a mini school bus. Not knowing what watery terrain lay on the other side, I carefully hugged the massive rock and peaked around its corner to scan the water. Starting from right to left, I studied the gushing white water that gradually calmed itself into small deep pool that teetered over a water fall. Looking deeply into the sunlit pool I spotted this solo fish holding in a pocket just before the drop off.

I watched as she effortlessly swam against the current rising up and down the water-column to snatch the tiny insects that drifted overhead. Carefully, I unhooked my fly from its keep and pulled line off my reel to cast. I dropped the fly just far enough ahead not to spook her and not too far away where the current would affect my drift.  My size 16 Royal Trude was lined up and she turned up to suck in my fly. To my excitement I set the hook too soon and pulled the fly away before she could get a hold. Upset that I might have blown my chance I waited to see if she had spooked. Fortunately she continued to to feed. 

Knowing that my previous cast was well presented,  I dropped my fly in the same spot and let the current take control. She posted up to my fly once again, but this time she wizened up and refused the false meal. A slap in the face.

I tied on a trusted size 14 Parachute Adams and made the same cast for a third time. Knowing that a new fly would certainly spark her interest I anticipated for the take and watched as she swam up to the surface to grab my fly. Waiting a split second longer, I watched her swim down with the fly until I placed my set. I couldn't help but feel nervous as I danced the fish against the current to avoid certain doom if she were to be swept away over the drop off. She darted back and forth across the pool before she surrendered to the palm of my hand. After a quick photo shoot, she was quickly released back into her world.

No comments:

Post a Comment